Friday, January 13, 2012

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things...

 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Usually when I hear this preached about...taught on, or read thoughts regarding...it is taken completely out of context.  Actually, it is usually used as a pretext for the Word of Faith movement for magic thinking.  "Nothing is beyond my grasp" is the general meaning.  "I can have all things- be all things- do miracles and wonders in Jesus name...because Philippians 4:13 says so, and IT'S THE WORD OF GOD!!!"

But let's look at it in it's context. 
Philippians 4: Paul writing...
11.  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content
12.  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13.  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

It really says that through Jesus' abiding presence, none of these things move me.

Acts 20:  Paul speaking...
  22.  And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
 23.  Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
 24.  But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
 25.  And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
 26.  Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
 27.  For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

Romans 8:- Paul writing again
35.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
 36.  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
 37.  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
 38.  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
 39.  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 22.  And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
 23.  Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
 24.  But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
 25.  And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
 26.  Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
 27.  For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

These are the scriptures and thoughts I wish were being connected with Philippians 4:13, not a lot of magic thinking.
Just keepin' it real!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...