Thursday, October 11, 2012

Spirit And Truth - Expanded

This will not be accepted well by many who teach basically the same doctrine represented on this site, but this is bible...and it has been a loonnnggg time coming for me.

Joh 4:23
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

It is argued that these verses speak specifically to receiving the Holy Ghost.  I believe this a a partial truth.  I believe it is speaking to that but not exclusively, and here is why.

The LAW that was given in Exodus and Leviticus went largely into the priestly functions.  Levi being the tribe the Lord drafted into His service in place of the firstborn of every family.

The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi, shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance.Deut.18:1

Since the tribe of Levi were exempt from war and inheritance... Joseph became two tribes for the inheritance.  His sons, Ephriam and Mannaseh were each a tribe counted in the ineritance. Samuel was from the tribe of Ephriam.  Ephriam replaced Levi in the inheritance! Can anyone say-foreshadowing?

Under that law, the Levites would perform all the priestly functions. 

1 Samuel
Until 1 Samuel 2:27-30... when God tells Eli that he has failed in his office, and his sons have disgraced Israel and God, therefore God is going to set aside the priesthood. He sets aside Eli and his sons by killing them!   He sets up Samuel (who is NOT from the tribe of Levi- he was from the 1/2 tribe of Ephriam) as prophet over the priesthood (vs 36).  Samuel offered sacrifices to God.  Samuel was a type of Jesus. 

The priesthood wasn't immediately destroyed..but became powerless.  There were times when it seemed to be restored to power and glory, especially under Solomon, but the word was already established. 

God is sovereign.  He will do what He wants to do.  The key to this reasoning is found in 1 Samuel 2 vs 30.
Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father (Levi), should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.
Those chosen to represent God and His will in the office of the priests was also an established word!  BUT God overturned His expressed will by His Sovereignty.  We know it was always in the plan, but we think we understand everything, when the word tells us we don't!

1Co 13:9  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11  When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Get that point...His express will was already given...yet He already planned to supersede it.    We stand on His expressed word and use it as, not only our map to heaven, but also as a weapon...our sword...to attack those who don't see what we see in it.  But God has a sovereign will that allows Him to honor them that honor Him, even if we don't think they are honoring Him correctly!
Mark
Mar 9:37  Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.
:38  And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
:39  But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
:40  For he that is not against us is on our part.
:41  For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
:42  And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
 John
John 15:15  Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
1Jn 3:1  Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
1Jn 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
1Jn 3:13  Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
1Jn 3:14  We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
1Jn 3:15  Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
1Jn 3:16  Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
We want to have a say into who are the sons of God (according to His Word)...but He is the judge, not us.  We have His WORD (which we see through shades of flesh)...but He sees the heart and is sovereign in His judgment. 
Ezekiel
Eze 46:16  Thus saith the Lord GOD; If the prince give a gift unto any of his sons, the inheritance thereof shall be his sons'; it shall be their possession by inheritance.
Eze 46:17  But if he give a gift of his inheritance to one of his servants, then it shall be his to the year of liberty (jubilee- rapture); after it shall return to the prince: but his inheritance shall be his sons' for them.
I used to use this to teach that believers who love Jesus, but don't know the born again experience as I do are servants, not sons.  I did this because I believed only those who receive that baptism of the holy spirit, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues...AND who have been baptized in Jesus name are the only sons...everyone else were only servants who could share in most of the blessings of God's attentiveness until the rapture.  Then, only the sons would inherit. 
but I found a hitch to this explanation:
Proverbs
Pro 17:2  A wise servant shall have rule over a son that causeth shame, and shall have part of the inheritance among the brethren.  
 THE PLAN
There is a truth and a plan that is correct that I believe is taught at this site..and it all agrees with Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I also know that those who follow Acts 2:38 sing songs in worship written by those who do NOT follow Acts 2:38...but follow after God in their heart, and are blessed by the words and spirit brought forth by those writers.  I have been in worship services (non-apostolic) where the Spirit of God was richer and thicker than many apostolic services I have been in.  Same Spirit/God, most would agree.  But still we dismiss them as somehow less than fully honored of God because we understand a few things with more light.  Yes, we can argue that even those who received the holy ghost still had to get baptized in Jesus name...and back it up with scripture...but does that make God less sovereign?
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

We are to walk in the light...as we receive light, we must walk in it.  It is never acceptable to think "I'm done.  I don't need to add anything to my walk, or experience."  As we come to fuller revelation we must walk in that fuller revelation.  That doesn't mean we must continually expect everyone else to walk in OUR fuller revelation.

... but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

Many think they will be OK because they have followed THE PLAN of Acts 2:38, but have hatred in their hearts, gossip, cheat on their taxes, or spouses!!! lie, steal, and do all manner of evil...BUT they followed the plan and condemn those who actually love God and His word, and live above reproach but didn't understand the totality of Acts 2:38.
I would rather take my chances loving God and trusting His word as I understood it, living above reproach than to follow a formula and then live as less than a Christian.

Even better...I would rather understand the truth of Acts 2:38 AND live like a Christian!  Those that follow Acts 2:38 and do not live as Christians are not really following Acts 2:38!  The first step to Acts 2:38 is "REPENT".  Death to self will so Jesus' will can rule our lives.  Repentance is an ongoing daily activity.  Just because you did it once, doesn't mean you still walk according to His will... and if you are NOT walking according to His will.. well, read the last thing in bold print.

Those who honor Jesus as Lord are my brothers, those who don't, need to repent.  Those who know truth need to teach truth.  Those who think they have the corner on truth need to expand their minds.  God will honor them that honor Him, and they will inherit with all the brethren who inherit.  None are limited by OUR understanding.  Only WE are limited by our understanding.  If our understanding is greater than others...more is expected of us...not more judgmentalism, but more love and compassion, and exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit.

Let's love God, and His word, and those who honor Him!  Maybe we need to study rebuking a little... maybe next time.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...