Monday, June 3, 2013

Good Deeds, Not Belief In Christ, Required For Salvation Says New Pope



                                                 Pope Francis; image@CatholicEWUK

Pope Francis made some ears perk up today during his homily by saying that even atheists have salvation through their good deeds.

In a story he told of a Catholic having a conversation with a priest, the Pope made clear that salvation is found through good deeds, not belief in Christ.

“Just do good, and we’ll find a meeting point,” said the Pontiff.

“The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!”

Of course, this is nothing new to Christianity. Anyone who has read the New Testament knows that Jesus gave himself for the sins of all, not just some. But it is a pretty big deal when the Pope says it, especially after the reign of Pope Francis’ predecessor, Pope Benedict the XVI. Pope Benedict was known for his much more conservative approach, moving to restore the Catholic Church to where it stood before the Second Vatican Council, the meetings in the 1960s that gave us the modernized Church we know today.

Part of Pope Benedict XVI’s platform was a controversial move to reaffirm the Catholic Church as the only true path to Christ, the only actual ‘church’ to be founded by the Savior, and the only one to recognize the Pope. Since it was well known that “outside the church there is no salvation,” this, of course, left many other Christians feeling like they were “second-class believers.” But this, by no means, was Pope Benedict XVI’s idea alone. Going all the way back to Pope Innocent III in 1215, the idea that there is only salvation within the Catholic Church has been a primary strategy for retaining and growing church membership.

In saying that belief in Christ is not necessary for salvation, Pope Francis is abandoning that strategy altogether. However, by embracing everyone and refraining from demonizing atheists or chastising non-Catholics, the Pope may be on the right track toward delivering more believers to a Church that many, even some Catholics, have, thus far, seen as outdated.

Biblicall Christianity says:

Joh 10:1  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Joh 10:2  But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

Joh 10:3  To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

Joh 10:4  And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

Joh 10:5  And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

Joh 10:6  This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

Joh 10:7  Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

Joh 10:8  All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

Joh 10:9  I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Joh 1010:  The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Joh 10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Joh 10:12  But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

Joh 10:13  The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

Joh 10:14  I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Joh 10:15  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Joh 10:16  And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Joh 10:17  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

Joh 10:18  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Tit 3:5  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Tit 3:6  Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Eph 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Eph 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...